There’s 101 reasons why it’s time to unfreeze the operations grant and get better funding for support staff - share yours!
Help to collect 101+ reasons why Support Staff need Better Funding.
Lincoln Heights School teaching community stands behind NZEI’s negotiations for better funding for our support staff. Our students deserve more. Teachers deserve and need the support provided in our busy classrooms. Support staff deserve an increase in their hourly wages. New Zealand Educators are teachers and support staff together as teams we are making a difference for the future. We vote give the support team more pay now. They are value for money.
Estelle – Teacher Aide Librarian : because Teacher Aides cannot be paid according to their salary band
Suz Bassett – Office Manager : because Support Staff are not paid in the holidays
Lynne Blumsohn – Teacher Aide : because I want to be valued for what I do. I get paid less than my son who washes dishes at a restaurant.
Display for parents to read and sign petition
Our Support Staff are multi talented, hardworking and under paid for the important job of helping to build a love for learning. They keep the spark alive for those who find learning a challenge. They believe anything is possible if you keep the faith. It is time they were rewarded for their loyal service to the MOE and the children who they support.
“Teacher aides help us achieve our dreams” ~ group of yr 4/5 students
“In case kids get angry” ~ group of yr 5/6 students
“So they can help us learn more” ~ group of yr 5/6 students
“Teacher aide work is very challenging, both emotionally and physically. These kids through no fault of their own are the most vulnerable in our society. We need to retain the skilled and experienced people and reward accordingly.” ~ Parent/Lecturer
“They are such hard workers. They are the glue that helps hold our school together. #legends” ~ Teacher
“We have so many children who need support (not just ORS). We need support for our behaviourally challenging children so ALL our children can learn” ~ Principal
Can you imagine Special Needs classrooms and its students with less Support Staff?
How will students’ physical needs get met?
How will students receive enough support to access the curriculum?
Who will help students with their coping and behaviour management?
Who will help teachers with the running of specialised programmes?
because schools and Early Childhood Centres cannot run without these wonderful people. Many support Staff go well above and beyond their duty to fulfill their roles. Our special needs tamariki are already being lost in mainstream. Their needs cannot be met by 1:10 ratios. we need extra Support Staff.
* children deserve all the support they can get!!
* we do such wonderful work, so the school budget should be increased to cover
* we are needed in schools
* children need all the help they can get
* children deserve the best support for their education
* we value children and their education – so should you!!!
– Teacher aides said ” My role in the classroom is important to many of the students who otherwise may have less support.” ” More and more teacher aide hours are needed for more and more students.”
– Our office administrator said ” We are a highly valued part of the school team. We support our students, teachers and principal in many different ways.”
– Kaiarahi o Te Reo said ” To invest in our future – for our kids!” “We want the best for all tamariki to reach their highest potential to succeed in life.” “As valued members of our kura we give the children who need a little more help the extra support they need to get through the day.”
– Teachers said ” support staff help with all children in a class teaching small groups in reading, writing and maths. They bring creative thinking to make new concepts easy for children to understand.” “Without them, our jobs would be impossible! They make our days easier in so many ways – with behaviour, learning, working with our special kids – and with the laughs!” ” They are an integral part of the classroom who greatly enhance the children’s learning.”
“Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much!”
“Ehara taku toa i te toa takitaki Engari, he toa takitini.”
– Quality Support = Quality learning!
– There are so many children who need extra help who are missing out.
– Better funding means more money and that means more money for students education.
– The diversity of our job an all the extra tasks we willingly take on. All Schools NEED Support Staff.
– Please thaw the Op’s Grant to ensure quality education for our students giving support staff recognition.
– There are more and more children with needs, who need supporting in the classroom and playground and not enough Teacher Aides to support them due to lack of funding to schools.
– More and more children with behavior issues that need one on one teacher aide support.
– They help students engage in their learning everyday in every way!!! working alongside individuals or groups of students, Making resources, Being creative, enthusiastic teachers!
– they are awesome, they have the knowledge and patiences to work with our well below and special needs.
– they work exceptionally hard (largely with our priority learners). They have specialised knowledge int he programmes they run and we would be lost without them!
– we work hard and our pay doesn’t reflect it!!
– we work hard and support many kids.
– without them being valued and receiving adequate pay, our school and children will suffer. Support Staff assist with all areas in school: feeding, clothing, cleaning – and that’s before 9 am.
– our classrooms are better palces with their amazing knowledge and support. Our children are making progress with their extra hard work and dedication.
– Because we are awesome and our Job Description changes every day!
– they are absolute super stars! Our teachers and students value them so much. I don’t know what I would do without them!
– I can not be an affective teaching practioner without their support.
– they all help accelerate akonga achievement! Teaching staff cannot be as effective without them!
– I deserve more…. It’s a hard job caring and teaching special needs children.
– of all the work they do to support children that need extra help!
– they do a lot for our students and support them in their learning.
– we need job security!!
support staff are renegotiating their agreement this year, freezing the Operations Grant means any gains in terms and conditions will be offset by job losses or reduced hours in schools where budgets are already tight, Government knows this. Schools cannot run without Support Staff. They should support Boards and Principals to be good employers and show us recognition and respect.